BlogicBlog: View from the trenches

The blog about Java and XML with focus on troubleshooting issues and tools.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Why I prefer Andrew C. Oliver to write 'drab' articles

Permanent article link

Andrew is confused why his 'drab' article on speeding up JBoss is much more popular than his repost of a deep voodoo article asking other people to implement someting that he finds interesting. I wonder!

I have linked to the speeding up article when I saw it, because it was something useful either immediately or later if I do have strange slow-downs/memory issues to troubleshoot. It (as I mentioned originally) was also useful beyond JBoss and I knew that because I had to explain the same issues to the customers using Weblogic.

His other article seems to requite much more thought and a deeper involvement. Maybe one day I will have free time and skills to understand that article as I am sure it deserves to be. But probably not soon.

P.s. I am not vain enough to think that my opinion really deserves a full blog entry (and I saw the article from JavaBlogs' pupular list anyway); it is just that he doesn't have the comments enabled.....

BlogicBlogger Over and Out

5 Comments:

At March 24, 2006 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well the follow up where I explain some of the ins and outs of GC will probably not get as much buzz by that logic I guess. I guess I could write about how I had to get Weblogic working on Sun's JDK because it was having issues on JRockit under load...but JBoss loved JRockit perfectly fine...but that would be too boring to write ;-) I disabled comments because I got tired of filtering "anonymous: you suck" posts and spam...Horribly boring. I think it is a sad comment on the industry that no one wants to understand anything in depth anymore... -Andy

 
At March 25, 2006 12:04 AM, Blogger BlogicBlogger said...

Andy,

I am not popular enough to get much spam yet. :-)

As to the buzz, write about what matters to you and we will rate it as to how it matters to us (and how long the article stays at the first page of JavaBlogs....).

I think people are so overwhelmed with how many blogs vie for their attention, they only look at what is immediately and obviously useful to them. The rest they will (hopefully) find later when the problem does hit them.

 
At March 25, 2006 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On popularity, I originally got into this opensource stuff for career advancement and learned enough about search engine performance and such to be well linked. (having a link to your blog from *.apache.org AND *.jboss.org doesn't hurt ;-) ). Unfortunately, while being notorious (as opposed to popular) has been fiscally valuable. It also made any site I control very useful to spammers :-)

I agree in principle but sometime I write what I want you to know :-) even if it doesn't matter much to me personally. The DGC thing is very old news and pretty boring to me...but others not knowing it is costing my grief :-).. If I wrote only about what mattered to me then all posts would probably be more like the postgresql one :-)

 
At March 25, 2006 5:22 PM, Blogger BlogicBlogger said...

I write what is important to me, but with the view to having that read. I thought the DGC post was very good that way.

As to the popularity, I am not trying to do career advancement as such with it. It is more for solidifying my thoughts. Of course, I will be presenting at JavaONE this year again, so maybe the blog helped in that respect.

 
At March 31, 2006 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I only want to collect my thoughts I write myself an email :-)...Then I can be far more frank ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home